10 Best Friendship Day Quotes and Sayings
International Friendship Day takes places on the first Sunday of August every year and is a chance for people to dedicate a full day in honour of their friends and let them know that how truly important their friendship is. Friendship Day – as it was first known – is thought to have originated in the United States in 1935 and was created by the greeting card industry before gradually gaining popularity in many different countries across the world, prompting a the change in the name to International Friendship Day.
On the first Sunday of August each year friends can exchange gifts, cards, flowers and friendship bracelets to show how important each person is in the others life. Winnie the Pooh being the world’s Ambassador of Friendship makes him a very popular character as this time of the year and pictures of the famous bear adorn various gifts and greetings cards. Through texts and social media, International Friendship Day is more popular than ever and millions of messages and greetings are sent via the likes of Facebook and Twitter. If you are looking to send a close friend a special message on International Friendship Day, you may like to use one of the following top 10 best friendship day quotes and sayings
10) “My friends are my estate.”
This quote is taken from Emily Dickinson’s “Letter to Samuel Bowes” and from the publication The Letters of Emily Dickinson.
9) “Don’t walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don’t walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend.”
This quote is by acclaimed French pied-noir author, journalist and philosopher Albert Camus, a leading figure in western philosophy
8) “Everyone is a friend, until they prove otherwise.”
This great saying is so true in many ways, although it cannot be attributed to any source.
7) “Every person is a new door to a different world.”
This line is taken from the film Six Degrees of Separation which stared Donald Sutherland, Will Smith, Heather Graham and Ian McKellen amongst others. The film sees the lives of a wealthy couple touched by a mysterious young African American man.
6) “It takes a long time to grow an old friend.”
Attributed to American literary and cultural critic John Leonard, this quote is an excellent to send to a long-time friend.
5) “I get by with a little help from my friends.”
Written by John Lennon, this saying is taken from The Beatles song “With a Little Help from My Friends”.
4) “Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you.”
American writer, artist and philosopher Elbert Green Hubbard had many notable quotes; this is one of his best.
3) “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.”
This beautiful quote belongs to Anaïs Nin, a French-Cuban author who lived in both France and the United States and is hailed as being one of the great writers of erotic fiction.
2) “A friend is someone who is there for you when he’d rather be anywhere else.”
This saying is attributed to Jewish-American comic book writer Len Wein.
1) “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.”
When you know who your true friends are in life, this quote by American newspaper commentator Walter Winchell is the perfect tribute on International Friendship Day.